"Slacker" Chainguide #Strengthforjared SPECIAL EDITION
SHIPS FREE NEXT DAY WORLDWIDE
Another laid back Aussie.
Introducing the Zelvy "Slacker" chainguide. Designed, developed and made in Australia. Laid back and "slack-azz" for maximum chain control.
What's the Specs?
- ICSG05 mount style chainguide (comes with a selection of stainless mount bolts included)
- Suitable for 32 to 36 tooth chainrings
- Suitable for narrow-wide integrated rings (may not suit spider mount rings below 34t depending on your chainring/spider combination).
- Glass reinforced nylon replaceable upper, aluminium "boomerang".
- 2x M3 anodised aluminium slide adjustment bolts not bloody annoying 2.5mm that nobody has a key for!)
- 27 grams weight (excluding frame mount bolts and washers as required).
Why did we make it?
A while back we were having a yarn with another Toowoomba local, Multiple World Champ, Olympian, and all round super quick on 2 wheels dude, Jared Graves. We soon came to discover there were a few main issues with a lot of guides on the market today:
- This one seemed interesting to us, and it was amazing how some guides totally missed the purpose of the guide: And that is to stabilise the chain before it comes into contact with the chainring. Seems simple mechanics right? Well have a look around!
- In the quest for lightness a lot of guides are so flexible that they don't really do much at all, relying on your fresh, unworn, narrow-wide chainring to do all the work. Not something you want to rely on come race day / park lap weekends.
Our development process...
This is where we did things a bit different. It was clear to us that athletes like Jared were key to producing the best chainguide we could. So we approached Jared Graves, and Curtis Keene and asked if they wanted to develop the ultimate. We tested and tested, with different chainrings (standard, oval, narrow-wide) in all conditions, all over the world. Refining, redesigning, improving. Until we were all satisfied. (Ever tried to make an elite athlete satisfied!?)
The result is before you. And here are a few key features:
- Laid Back. Controlling the movement of the chain BEFORE it contacts the teeth of the chainring means the guide must be swept as far rearward as possible.
- Aussie Made. Yeh mate! Assembled and boxed in Toowoomba, Even the plastic is made down the road at the Gold Coast.
- Stiff, but not too stiff. Light, but not too light. 27 grams of actually effective chain retention.
- Future proof. Where's the bash guide? Well we are working on that, good news is it will be compatible with the guide.
I (Greg, Founder of Zelvy) write the following as a more personal account to give you an insight into the gentleman that Jared is. I have known Jared and his family for many many years and consider him a good mate, I truly admire his dedication, professionalism and humble nature.
So with the 2018 season drawing to an end. Jared was home from Whistler and we were catching up at his place to discuss the product launch. I spent a good hour with Jared discussing the progress of the guide, the final details and the launch ideas, amongst other logistical, and general business. Jared was fully dedicated to this project, even on that day, and gave feedback and ideas. He talked about these things as though nothing was wrong on his end, before he broke the news to me about his seizures, the last one he had experienced just the day before.
Humbly, and with some degree of sorrow I got the full rundown of the events. I think I had more tears than Jared that day. I was in shock, and I would guess he still was also. I cannot begin to imagine what news like this is like. Can you?
Jared's world has been turned upside down literally overnight. The support he has received from the community has been a great help, but we want to do even more.
Here are some facts:
Since leaving school Jared has dedicated his life to MTB and cycling. Jared now is facing an unknown future, with HUGE medical expenses at the same time. We are talking around $10,000.00 AUD each week. Jared has another 6 months of high dose chemotherapy, before he can start recovery and rebuild his fitness and career that hinges off that.
So what's the plan?
We sat down with Jared and got his OK on this project.
We asked Jared what colour scheme he would like for a Special Launch edition #strengthforjared chainguide:
This will be a limited run! We won't run this combination again.
- Polished "Boomerang" lower.
- black upper.
- Anodised red insert.
- #STRENGTHFORJARED laser etched onto the Boomerang.
ALL PROFITS WILL GO TO JARED's GOFUNDME page. Jared will donate any excess funds to cancer research.
SHIPS FREE WORLDWIDE
This chainguide is simple to install, looks so clean and is for a great cause. I would recommend this to anyone looking for a simple chainguide. Customer service was also on point. Thank you!
Great product, beautifully made and minimalist design... super happy with the chain guide - 4 stars from me as I needed to source thinner shims than supplied to fit my Nomad V3... I highly recommend this product! Well done Zelvy
The Slacker is a sleek bit of gear! My Stumpjumper is without doubt looking like a Graves stallion now! Thanks Zelvy!!
The guide both looks awesome and works great. Haven't dropped a chain yet. And best of all, it is for a great cause.